History of the castle

In the mid-18th Century 25 serfs and 5 cotter house were in Röjtök. They were owned by the Felsőbüki Nagy family. The quotation dates from 1799, the estate is the "jewel in the form of storey mansion."

In the XVI. Century the Castle only consisted of ground-floor building, built on the estate Nagyerdő with area of ​​3,414 cadastral jutaro. In 1750 it was rebuilt in a romantic and classical style castle. The Double-wing main building has created conditions for the emergence of a large courtyard in the shape of U. The monotony is interrupted by pillared arcades. The park had originally an area of ​​8 hectares.
After the death of the principal notary, deputy head of administrative district and later co-opted member in the seven-seat board, Pal Nagy Felsőbüki, József, one of his three children holding the positions of office mentor and personal secretary of the king, became heir to the farm. After the death of his only daughter, Juliana, the estate was passed to her husband, Miksa Ürményi. He came from one of the oldest families in Nitra County. During his era happened, that the Castle in Röjtök was honored by the visit of Count István Széchenyi. "The greatest Hungarian" noticed this event according to his habit on 14th October 1841 with terse German sentences: Nachmittag reite ich nach Szerdahely, um Bezerédy zu versöhnen, fand ich ihn nicht, Röjtök, Loos.
Ürményi´s descendants sold the building and left four pieces of bedroom furniture and a life-size portrait of Maria Theresa, which disappeared from Röjtök. It is said that the Empress visited the Ürményi family in Röjtök and her portrait was created in honor and in memory of her visit.
When selling the Castle the families Schöller and Patzenhofer took a look at the place and they concluded that the meadow stretching to the river Ikva is suitable for the construction of a refinery, since it was located next to the busy trade route Sopron - Pápa. The honored Sopron pig merchant Antal Bauer overtook the refinery businessmen and bought the farm and Castle in Röjtök. In the 19th Century, trade with pigs has played a very important role in the economic life of Sopron. Sopron 
traders in those days bred in the mountains Bakony huge herds of pigs and regularly traveled to Croatia and Serbia. They had to speak at least four languages. Antal Bayer moved to Sopron from Waidhofen at the Thaya. His wife came from a brewing family Bosch who hired a former brewery in the present Elizabethan Garden (Erzsébet-Kert).
The Bauer family used the Castle in Röjtök mostly on weekends and summer holidays. Anton Bauer died in 1893. The Farmhouse in Röjtök was inherited by his son, Mihály. His excellent management was recognized by the highest authorities. Together with his younger brother Antal he was awarded peerage from the King.

In 1910 the estate was bought by Miksa Berg, who came from Germany. "Until then, the Castle remained practically unchanged. On the main façade a columned entrance was placed, over which was not a balcony, but was only covered with a roof. The walls were divided by braided Ionic pilaster intervening to the floor." The new owner had rebuilt the Castle according to design by architect Mayer from Wiener Neustadt. The Garden Bridge according to the inscription in 1923 was donated by the German Thyssen industrial magnate family - today Thyssen - Bornemissza family - to the owner of that time, Miksa Berg. The bridge in the direction of the Castle featuring two stone lions. The sons of Baron Miksa Berg inherited the Castle.

In 1926 became the new owner the Hungarian ambassador to the Vatican, Verseghy Elek Nagy. He had expensively reconstructed the Castle according to modern requirements. During his era, a park around the castle was built and a large pool was established according to the project of Alfred Hajós. Beside the pool a small wooden Japanese house with reed roof was built, which was unprecedented in the Transdanubia Region at that time. The Court is decorated with French garden with regular ground, round buxus, double hedges and flowers planted in square. On the southern face wall is a garden enclosed with an area of 50x50 meters, which is located in the middle of a small pool with fountain.

After entering the building, visitors can admire the historical wooden tiles and plaster ceiling in the lobby and the marble fireplace, which remained during World War II. World War II intact. In the chapel a high-quality copy of the work of Italian master Boltraffia, Madonna Litta is placed, whose original is exposed in the Hungarian National Gallery. On the either side of the altar wooden statues of the XVII. Centuries were located, which are now exhibited in the Christian Museum in Sopron. The portrays are of Apostle St. Paul and a holy bishop. The author is unknown.
Interestingly the salon floor is furniture that comes from the Amsterdam Palace of Louis Bonaparte, the brother of Napoleon. The furniture was owned by a Dutch lady mansion. After her death it was inherited by her daughter, the first wife of Elek Verseghy, Erzsébet Jansen. In such way the former royal salon furniture came to Röjtökmuzsaj.
In 30th the 20th Century lot of guests attended the Castle in Röjtök. For many years the Metropolitan Archbishop Dr. Jusztinián Serédi, Count Janos Mikes, Archbishop Gusztáv Majláth Károly, Count István Bethlen and Count Pál Teleki - the latter as prime minister - the former foreign minister, Count Berthold Lipót, Archduchess Magdalene and the other members of the Family Eszterházy, as well as members of the Families Széchenyi, and Pállfy spent there their holidays.
The Verseghy family crypt is located in the castle park The Father of Elek Verseghy Nagy, Ferenc, was buried there in 1928. Elek Nagy Verseghy´s wife died in 1934 aged 34 years and left behind two small children. She is also buried in the crypt.
Elek Verseghy Nagy remarried in 1936: he married Mary Louise Countess Zichy, with whom he had two sons, Elek and András.

Among his children Peter died a heroic death, four other children left the country in 1944. Verseghy Elek Nagy and his wife were deported in 1951 to Tiszasüly - Koloptanya.

Over the years the castle's condition worsened. It was waiting for a new owners to be renovated and flourish in the old beauty again. The dream come true, about which the lead designer of the Castle, Ms. Judit Anda, would like to inform the distinguished readers in few words.
After the nationalization, the castle was used as a children resort. The new feature was get together with transformations, but we can say that besides to removing the furniture the building did not suffer any serious, irreversible damages. In the 90-s the castle was evacuated and was waiting for several years for a new owner. The elapsed time was not useful for the building: the technical condition gradually worsened and the park was overgrown.

Ms. Márta Derry bought the castle in 1997 and by full renovation she has proven that she not only talks about the preservation of historical values, but she also does it. By restoration and making visitable the forgotten castle in bad condition, she was thinking of our past, the appreciation of our values, on our future and children. Surprisingly to the numerous incredulous people, the renovation was completed in a very short time.
The preparatory work, the survey and design were completed from February to August 1998, the construction work from September 1998 to December 1999 and the interior furnishing was conducted from September until the end of December 1999.
On New Year’s Eve 2000 the four-star Hotel Szidónia Castle was opened. A dream came true.  So could emerge under the handiwork of Márta Derry  this “miracle world”, in which our guests can find now the romance of the past and the convenience of the present.
Since January 2014 Dr. Professor Günter Nebel is the new owner of the hotel, who is trying to preserve the established character and concept of the hotel, and the hospitality, which has always been waiting for the visitors. 



« Back